Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Culture of Exposure

Recently, I've been trying to understand why people on social networking sites post private messages in public spaces. What is the motivation? Exaggerated self-importance? A naive belief that everyone is interested in interpersonal mundanites? Pure obliviousness maybe? For those of you who are unfamiliar with this particular format of self-exposure, it usually reads something like this: Hey, George! Just wanted to say hello because, you know, like we never talk on the phone or meet in person because apparently we're both too lazy to keep up and both seem to assume that it doesn't matter because, you know, when we eventually get around to seeing each other again at a birthday party or whatever, we can talk shit like we only neglected each other for, you know, like a week or something. LOL
Sometimes it reads like this: OMG! Can't believe how trashed we got last night! =)
Compliments are also popular: You looked great last night! ;)
Or: So sexy! [referring to a photo someone posted of him/herself glaring lasciviously at a camera]
As silly as these parodies are—and, actually, they're almost verbatim quotes—the point here is not to advocate for privacy in expression; I'm all for gossip. Most anyone who writes fiction or blogs believes that exposing other people's business is a worthwhile (or at least entertaining) endeavor. But I'm requesting that what is posted be interesting. Please, keep the quotidian concealed behind the electronic curtain of email, so I don't have to feel any guilt for laughing at you while I laugh at what you write.


2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's easier (fewer clicks) to post a public note compared to a private one. But I agree, they're not as interesting as they should be, if I have to read them.

    I have my own peeve: incorrect use of the "wall". Isn't this supposed to be for endorsements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...Jess...Great to See you Last night :-) I was sooooooo drunk. I love the new pictures you uploaded...like...I was so drunk. See you at Kenny's bday party.

    ReplyDelete